Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ready For Some Futbol?

I've never been a huge fan of soccer,but I have the utmost respect for the athletes who participate in the sport. It's funny how soccer is recognized all over the world as a popular sport, but yet here in America not as much prevalance is given to it.

I'd go so far as to say that the results in the World Cup are proof of this. The team representing the U.S. lost yesterday against the Czech Republic, 3-0. I wanted to see the game yesterday, but it came on while I was in class.

They play Italy next, and Italy is considered to have one of the best soccer teams in the tournament. Should the U.S. lose, then they'd be out. The game is this Saturday at noon. I'll schedule it in my plans to watch it and see what happens. Even if they do lose, I still would like to watch the rest of the World Cup to get an insight into the sport from a worldview. I'm not sure what other country I would root for though.

By watching World Cup games, I'll grow a greater appreciation for the sport as a whole. Profesional soccer is on a break because of the World Cup. The Fall semester at Cerritos is approaching, and along with American football, Futbol (or soccer as we know it) will be starting then. I'll be looking forward to watching both the men and women's teams play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home